Thursday, July 7, 2011

Pulled Pork

Source: Janet (5kidsin5years) SL Forum

In my little town in MO where I came from there is a little lady who is barely 5 feet tall (and about as wide, God love her!) and she is one of these awesome cooks! Her name is Marie and she is the one you always ask "What did YOU bring to the bake sale today, Marie?" and then after she tells you, you go buy it! LOL. Every Labor Day she makes a ton of this pulled pork and her women's group sells it at this local fair for profit for their group. Everybody knows to get to her booth for lunch. And she gave out the recipe (can you believe it? Hooray for us!).

This has SUCH a good flavor and I love it that it's pretty cheap to make and you can start it the day before. Great for large gatherings (doubled), pot luck suppers, or an easy meal to start on a Sat night and can be ready for company after church. Goes GREAT with cole slaw and chips and is a real treat.

4# pork shoulder or trimmed beef or pork roast
2 tsp salt
1 onion chopped or some onion powder
2 cups ketchup of BBQ sauce
8 oz taco sauce (I'm not talking about salsa)
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp vinegar
2 Tbsp worch sauce
1 tsp liquid smoke
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp DRY mustard
1 tsp garlic powder

Night before, put meat and salt in crockpot 8-10 hours on low. Drain next morning and debone and gently shred the meat (it will be tender!). Cook another 2-6 hours with all other ingredients mixed in (ok, this will smell fantastic!) but watch so that it doesn't burn. If sauce is thin, remove lid last 2 hours. Serve on buns. Freezes well

When pork shoulders are on sale I buy one like I did last night (.98/pound for a pork picnic roast or something like that..they go even cheaper than this at times). It was about 9# so I'll double this recipe and freeze some or serve a crowd with it.

I often make this when I need to take a meal to a friend. No matter how big her family is, doing a 9# roast will serve her family and mine. Many times I will freeze some of it in muffin cups for a couple hours till hard, then remove from muffin tin and drop the serving sized portions into a ziploc. That way when somebody wants a good meal, its easy to pop one in a bowl in the microwave with a paper towel over it and in seconds you have a delicious pulled pork sandwich!

Hope many will enjoy this!

By the way, you can always serve extra taco sauce for the adults who want it spicier. My sil is one of those types so I bought extra hot taco sauce for her. I made this last summer, froze it, and took it up to their cabin in North Carolina. Just warmed it back up in the crockpot and it was a great meal for the crowd that came in from skiing on the lake, without heating up the cabin much. And on the other hand, if your kids don't like any spice at all, leave out the taco sauce or cut the amt in half. Will still be good I'm sure, but the amt here doesn't make it 'spicy' by any means. I think I use a 12 oz bottle of taco sauce for an 8# roast.

No comments: